Friday, June 20, 2008

Flip-Flop Flaws

Ubiquitous-Being or seeming to be everywhere at the same time; omnipresent.
Gait-A manner of walking, stepping, and running
Exacerbated- to increase the severity, bitterness, or violence of


When going for a slip-on shoe. The Y shaped thong style might not be the best of choice for health reasons. Justin Shroyer, a doctoral student in biomechanics, has studied the way people have walked in theses flip-flops compared to regular shoes. The outcome was not very promising. The results from this study indicated that wearing these “Flip-Flops” causes you to make fewer steps. This could mean that you will have a greater risk for muscle and joint pain in the legs. Toe scrunching is another problem area when wearing these so called “Flip-Flops”. When walking in these shoes you scrunch your toes to keep them on your feet. The pressure often will add up to throbbing and tenderness in the toes.

In my opinion I can really relate to this article. I am not a huge fan of ”Flip-Flops”. I do, however, own one pair. My reasoning on not being overly stimulated, would be that I could always see my toes scrunch while walking. The discomfort was atrocious and unbearable in my toes. Needless to say, I don’t wear them anymore because of the discomfort I do have.

2 comments:

Julie bolt said...

Nice observation Kyle. I think a lot of men are wearing flip flops more than ever. I am with you I cannot wear them for the same reasons. I know times have changed since I was in school guys would not be caught wearing a flip flop.

skewblog said...

Kyle, I agree I think flip-flops are uncomfortable, too. I don't see people can wear them all day.
Lisa